At River of Life Assembly, we are passionate about creating a warm welcoming atmosphere so that those in the body and around the community can encounter a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We are a church that is part of the Assemblies of God. Pastor Terry Abbott has been our lead pastor here in Hood River for over twelve years.
To bring all people to Jesus and to develop in each Christ-like maturity, equipping them for their ministry, so that God’s name will be magnified.
Sunday Morning Service Options: 8:30 or 10:30 AM
10:00 AM: Conversation & Coffee - A time to hangout and get caught up in between services
Look for a New Sunday evening lineup in the Fall!
6:30 - 7:45PM
Boys and Girls clubs - Kids 3 yrs -6th, Rainbows, boys & girls 3yrs-pre-K, room 4
Mpact Girls Clubs: Prims K-2nd room 6, Stars 3rd-6th room 7&8
Royal Ranger Boys Club: Ranger Kids K-2nd room 2, Discover Rangers 3rd-6th room 2
Three Nails Later - Students 7th - 12th, meet in room 1
Pastor Terry Abbott and his wife, Janelle, along with their 3 children, Jennifer, Jamie and Jeremy, came to River of Life Assembly in September of 2003.
Pastor Terry has a passion for the gospel in shoe leather. He wants to see the good news of Jesus Christ walked out in the lives of all who call River of Life Assembly their home church. His favorite things are fishing, hunting, golf and computers.
Pastor Harvey, together with his beautiful wife Donna, and three girls, Aimee, Anna & Allison, came to River of Life Assembly in 2009. They bring a passion for Jesus, worship and kids.
"We look forward to seeing what God wants to do, through kids, here in Hood River!" Harvey is a graphic designer / artist and an old car nut.
What we Value
Every house is built upon a foundation. River of Life Assembly is built upon the foundation of our theology—how we think about God—and our values, the kinds of ideas and attitudes that we feel are important. Listed are some of the things that we value at River of Life Assembly:
1. We value PURSUIT OF GOD. We seek God and wait expectantly for His presence in all that we do (John 4:34; 5:19-20).
2. We value RELATIONSHIPS. Caring for people is our highest priority after submission to God, because the purpose of the cross was the reconciliation of men and women (2 Corinthians 5:18-21).
3. We value THE BIBLE as the Word of God. As evangelical Christians, the Bible is our final authority; our approach to life and ministry is shaped by the counsel of scripture (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
4. We value being SPIRIT-LED. We are a people who believe in, practice, and value the power of God. We seek to be responsive to the Holy Spirit in life and ministry (Rom. 8:14-17; 1 Corinthians 2:4-5).
5. We value TRAINING & DISCIPLESHIP. We believe our job is to equip the laity for the ministry. We see discipleship as the ongoing process of training and personal growth, enabling the body to minister to the local church and the community-at-large (Eph. 4:11-13).
6. We value SERVANT LEADERSHIP. We believe that leadership is a function, not a title. We believe that the Lord has placed significant leadership authority in the hand of the pastor and his associates.
We aim to exercise that leadership with humility, selflessness, grace, care for the congregation, and a sincere desire to build up the Body of Christ (1 Peter 5:1-7; Ephesians 4:11-13).
7. We value COMPASSION & MERCY. We believe that God’s mercy always triumphs over judgment and that God has called us to be attentive to the needs of the poor and helpless (Luke 4:18; James 2:13; John 8:1-11).
8. We value CHRIST-LIKENESS. We desire to become a people who will not just hear, but also do, the words and works of Jesus. We desire Jesus’ love, mercy, grace, truth, purity, power and integrity to shine through all we do (1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-2).
9. We value INTEGRITY. It is important for us to speak the truth, deal honestly, and live uprightly because this kind of life is the badge that identifies
What we beleive
16 FUNDAMENTAL TRUTHS OF THE ASSEMBLIES OF GOD
River of Life Assembly is associated with the Oregon and the Assemblies of God USA Network. Through our regional and national partnerships, we network with churches all over the world for evangelism, discipleship, theological accountability, compassion and relief ministries.
- WE BELIEVE…The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- WE BELIEVE…There is only one true God, revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- WE BELIEVE…In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
- WE BELIEVE…though originally good, man willingly fell to sin ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- WE BELIEVE…Every person can have restored fellowship with God through salvation (accepting Christ’s offer of forgiveness for sin). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances (1) water baptism by immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
- WE BELIEVE…the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE… The initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues, as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- WE BELIEVE…Sanctification initially occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
- WE BELIEVE…The Church has a mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe ‘the Church’ is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God’s offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
- WE BELIEVE…A divinely called and scripturally ordained leadership ministry serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers the Church.
- WE BELIEVE…Divine healing of the sick is a privilege for Christians today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…in the blessed hope. When Jesus raptures his Church prior to His return to earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…in The millennial reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. At that time many in the nation of Israel will recognize and accept Him as the Messiah, the Savior who died for them and all mankind.
- WE BELIEVE…A final judgment will take place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
- WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’
Amasa Bigelow and his wife, Melissa, have been with River of Life Assembly for over 10 years. They have 5 terrific kids. His Favorite activities are hiking, hunting and music. Amasa is also a guitarist on our worship team.
Saul Mardi-Ramirez has attended River of Life Assembly since 2009 and has served the lord since he was a child. He and his wife, Zoila, have been married since 2005; they both have three children and four grandchildren. Saul has passion for ministry is to let others know the message of Jesus Christ.
His favorite activities outside of church are traveling and reading.
Favorite scripture - Psalm 121:1-2
Julie Mellow Has attended River of Life Assembly since 1989 and has served the Lord since she was eight years old. She and her husband, Mike, have been married since 1985; they have three daughters, two sons-in-law and one granddaughter. Her ministry passion is counseling.
Julie's favorite activities outside of church are being with family, enjoying nature through hiking, paddle boarding, camping, and discovering/learning new things.
Favorite scripture - Romans 8:38-39 (KJV)
David Winans has attended River of Life Assembly since 1990 and has served the Lord since 1954. He has been married to Sandy since 1970; they have three children and three grandchildren. David's ministry passion is serving.
Winan's favorite activities outside the church are family gatherings, hiking, and saw milling.
Favorite scripture - Psalms 15:1-5 (NASB)
Annette Vandyke has attended River of Life Assembly since 2005 and has been serving the lord since then. She and her husband, Ralph, have been married since 1984 and have two sons. Her ministry passion is giving, helping and prayer.
Annette's favorite activities outside the church are: knitting, spinning, reading, gardening, and games.
Favorite scripture - Romans 8:28 (NASB)
Steve has served the Lord for 64 years and has been a board member, Sunday School teacher, Board Secretary for the River of Life Assembly. He and his family moved to Hood River in 1941 and has been married for over 50 years. They have a daughter and a son, and 4 grandchildren. Steve has a passion for serving others.
His favorite activities enjoyed are walking and working in the yard.
Favorite scripture - Psalms 92:1-2 (NIV)
Steve has been attending River of Life Assembly for over 5 years. He and his wife, Amy, have been married for over 15 years and have a daughter and son. His favorite activities are, singing, playing music and having fun down at the river front.